Quilt Barn Pencil Drawing

 

Pencil Drawing of a Quilt Bard


Hello, I hope everyone is having a good week. Myself, I am on vacation from my real job as an IT Help Desk Manager and sitting in a hotel with my drawing supplies. Currently my wife Tina is attending a Studio I80 Design Tool conference in Raleigh North Carolina. I came along to get some quiet time to practice my drawing.

The drawing I decided to work on is one I have done a couple of time in different versions. It is a drawing of a Quilt Barn using one of the quilting blocks used in one of the many quilt designs done by wife. The actual layout comes from a combination of references that I have utilized over the years. The left side comes from a pencil drawing by Mike Sibley, a British pencil artist. Mike Sibley has a teaching blog at https://sibleyfineart.com/ and I would recommend checking it out if you have not seen it. His work is stunning. For the barn reference I used a couple of drawing done by Diane Wright an American pencil artist. Her work can be seen at http://www.dianewrightfineart.com/ and her work is also astonishing.

Start of pencil drawing focus on tree and grass
Anyway, for the drawing I started with a simple outline of the barn and the tree to the left. I also added the fence on the left using a simple one-point perspective set close to the center of the barn. Once the outline was completed, I started to draw the grass and the tree. For this drawing, I wanted to push the value range more than I have in the past, so I combined a 2B General’s Charcoal Pencil with the normal Castell Pencil leads that I use. The charcoal enabled me to achieve a darker value that I normally cannot get with regular pencils. However, the one difficulty I ran into was that layering pencil over charcoal creates a really shinny surface in direct light. According to J.B Hillberry another American Pencil Artist. Using pencil over charcoal is a great way to dray a shiny medal surface. I may have to try that someday, but I digress here.

After I finished the tree, grass and fence on the left side, I started working on the background trees. The furthest trees were drawn using just a blending stump that already had some graphite on them from previous uses. The background grass was drawn using small light strokes with a H and 2B pencil. The middle ground tree was drawn using a 2B and 6B pencil.

Pencil drawing focus on the quilt barn
Then I move to shading the barn. I started on the top part of the barn using a 6B pencil to shade the boards and the top opening. Then using the 2B charcoal pencil to create the dark opening. For the shadow areas under the eaves of the barn 8B and 9B pencils were used. Once this area was finished, I moved to shading the quilt block on the barn. It was shaded using F, 2B and 6B pencils varying the pressure to get the correct values. Finally, I moved on to finishing the remaining part of the barn starting with a used blending stump to get the base value of the boards of the barn. I have found that used blending stumps give a good impression of an old wood texture and will make a great start to drawing old boards. Once the boards were roughed in, I went back over them with H, 2B and 6B pencils. Then I used the 8B pencil for the dark cracks between some of the boards to give them more of an aged look. Finally, I finished the barn with an 6B pencil and the 2B charcoal pencil to create the big door opening.

Pencil drawing of quilt barn continued. Working on foreground
Once the barn was done, I moved to the right-hand side and drew the foliage of the tree using 2B and 6B pencils. When drawing leaf trees in the middle ground, it is important to leave small gaps in the leaves to put in some tree branches. This gives the tree a little more interest. I drew the tree starting at the top and just worked my way down to the base. Then I took the used blending stump again and darkened the areas behind the tree to give the impression of trees in the distance. Once that was complete, I worked on finishing the grass in the middle and foreground using an H, F and 2B pencil.

Overall, I was happy with the results of this drawing. I still see many areas that I need to improve on but that is ok at my stage of drawing. After completing this drawing, I went to a local Michael’s art supply store and got a frame for it. My wife and I wanted to give it as a gift to Deb Tucker, who has be a true inspiration to my wife’s quilting journey.

If you enjoyed this blog and the images, I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment below on any thoughts or ideas you have. Thank you and I hope everyone has a good week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why a Pencil Blog