Fined Pencil Drawing of an old truck in a field

Hello, for this week’s blog, I am going to share a drawing I just completed for my Father-In-Law, Pat. Around a month ago, he asked if I could do a drawing with an old truck in a field with a barn in the background. That is a drawing subject, I have always wanted to try, so I thought this would be a great time to do it and this is the result.

Reference photos of Pencil Drawing of an old truck in a field
For this drawing, I wanted to plan it out from beginning to end so I knew where I was going every step of the way. To start with, I jump on my computer and looked through images for references. I like to use a website called www.pixabay.com for researching drawing. This is a royalty free stock image page that has high resolution images of a very wide range of subjects. In searching, I located a photo of an old truck in the foreground, and I believe Mt Rainier in the background (not 100% sure). Over all I like the image as a reference, however there were some changes to the layout the I wanted to make for the drawing. To edit the image, I opened it in Photoshop and moved the mountain from the right center to the left side. Then added a barn in the middle ground towards the right from a photo I had taken several years ago. Once I was happy with the rough layout, it was time to put pencil to paper.

Start of the pencil drawing of an old truck in a field
For this drawing, I started by rough sketching the truck in the foreground and the barn in the middle ground. This gave me the reference and proportions for the remainder of the drawing. Once the rough sketch was completed, I started with the sky and the background hills and the mountain. For this step, I took an egg-shaped makeup sponge with some graphite power and gently rubbed the sky. Spreading an even shade of gray. Then taking a kneadable eraser, I created the clouds. Next, I took a stick eraser and created the mountain in the background. To get the look I was going for, I went back and forth several times between adding graphite power and erasing it to build up the layers of the sky and clouds. Doing this helped the mountain standout in the background.

Once I was happy with the sky, I moved to the foot hills in the background. These were added by using an old blending stump that was already loaded with graphite. I just softly rubbed in the shapes of the hills I wanted then, using the stick eraser, added more details. Moving down the page, I added the background trees using an H and 2B pencil, being careful to keep them light and with little detail. This makes them look like they are far away.

Fingernail Art Tools
Next, before starting with the truck in the foreground, I took a fingernail art tool and started indenting thin lines that would represent grass. To explain this, a fingernail art tool is just a medal tool with a small, rounded head on it used for adding details when painting fingernails. For drawing they work well for indenting paper without tearing it. These indents will not fill up with graphite when drawing so you are left with thin white lines. It is a faster and easier way to create detail hair or grass without having to rely as much on negative space drawing. Anyway, I took some time and covered the entire bottom of the drawing with a lot of random lines created with the fingernail art tool. The one thing I was careful of was to ensure the lines I indented in the paper were all going the direction that I wanted the grass to go. The warning here is once you do this, it is extremely hard to change it, because this is one step that will damage the drawing surface of the paper.

After getting the indenting of the grass in, I started drawing in the details of the truck. I found the old metal was easier to draw than a shinny new vehicle would be. The reason for this was that any inconsistencies just looked like aged metal. All I really needed to concentrate on was keeping my pencil strokes going the same direction of the angles of the truck. Also, if you notice as I drew the bottom of the truck, the grass that I indented into the paper naturally showed up. All I had to do was add some highlights and a few more details.

Half Way Point in the Pencil Drawing of an old truck in a field
Finally, I moved to doing the barn. As I started with it, I really did not like the angle of how it was sitting. Originally, I drew the barn facing straight forward, where you could only see the front. This made it look flat. I change the angle slightly, so you could also see the right side of the barn and the roof line. This help give a little dimension to it. When I finished with the barn, I added the grass in the middle and foreground. Once that was complete, I thought it was still missing something. I add a tree to the right side in the mid-ground and this helped give the finished drawing a little more depth.

I hope everyone enjoyed this drawing. If you have any question or want additional details on how I tackled a specific step, please add them in the comments below.

Have a great week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilt Barn Pencil Drawing

Why a Pencil Blog